Cleaning Methods for D-Tech Touchscreen kiosks (COVID-19)
Updated: March 24, 2020
This technical bulletin describes the recommended cleaning and disinfecting procedure for D-Tech products relative to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Included are recommended disinfectant products that are safe for use with D-Tech products and approved by the US Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Cleaning and disinfecting are two steps. Cleaning removes dirt, grease, dust and other contaminants. Disinfecting is a separate process that uses a chemical designed to destroy bacteria.
Cleaning your D-Tech Product
- To prepare for cleaning the touchscreen, power down the device (if possible), or ensure your on-screen software can tolerate false touches while you clean.
- Do not get liquids inside the unit. Do not spray the D-Tech product directly. Instead, use wet wipes, a sprayed cloth or a dampened cloth with the excess moisture squeezed off.
- Select only non-abrasive cleaning wipes or cloths to avoid scratching touchscreens.
- Avoid highly concentrated alcohol (> 70%), non-diluted bleach or ammonia solutions, as these may cause discoloration.
- Wipe the surfaces with the appropriate wipes or cloths and approved cleaning products, and allow them to dry.
Disinfecting your D-Tech Product
- To prepare for disinfecting the touchscreen and kiosk body, power down the device (if possible) or ensure your on-screen software can tolerate false touches while you clean.
- Dampen a new clean, non-abrasive cloth with a disinfectant chosen from the list below. Ensure excess liquid is squeezed from the cloth. You may also use recommended pre-dampened wipes.
- Read the manufacturer’s instructions carefully. Many manufacturers require the surface to remain wet for a few minutes, so continuous wiping might be required.
- Disinfect the surfaces by wiping them with the cloth or wipe, and allow the surface to dry.
- For disinfectant solutions that are safe for use with D-Tech products, see below.
US CDC-recommended disinfectant solutions safe for D-Tech products
- Household bleach solution (1/3 cup of bleach per gal. of water)
- Isopropyl alcohol (≤ 70% alcohol)
More information from the CDC on disinfecting procedures for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) can be found here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/home/cleaning-disinfection.html
US EPA-recommended disinfectants safe for D-Tech products (including registration number)
||Reg. No. 5813-79|
||Reg. No. 67619-12|
||Reg. No. 67619-25|
||Reg. No. 6836-313|
||Reg. No. 777-89|
||Reg. No. 84150-1|
||Reg. No. 9480-12|
More information from the EPA on recommended disinfectants for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) can be found here: https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-registration/list-n-disinfectants-use-against-sars-cov-2
Do NOT use the following materials when cleaning/disinfecting your D-Tech product
- Isopropyl Alcohol at concentration > 70%
- Methyl Alcohol or Ethyl Alcohol at concentration > 35%
- Thinner or benzine
- Strong alkali lyes
- Strong solvents
- Detergents with fluoride
- Detergents with ammonia at concentration > 1.6%
- Abrasive cleaners
- Detergents with abrasives
- Formula 409
- Steel wool
- Sponges with abrasives
- Steel blades
- Cloth with steel threads